[Dixielandjazz] Louis Armstrong box set

Steve Voce stevevoce at virginmedia.com
Sun Jan 22 02:41:49 PST 2012

I've got the boxed set in the trumpet case, and I think it's marvellous. Although a lot of it is familiar the sound is very good. The All Stars got to be very routine, didn't they?
(If you can say that about Louis!). Teagarden was always very good, but even Ed got a bit repetitive.
Lovely story in Barney's autobiog. I recalled it in Arvell Shaw's obituary.

   Jack Teagarden was the band's trombonist,
another virtuoso and, like Bigard, driven to become an alcoholic by the hard
life on the road. Teagarden was dependent on the pint of whiskey that he kept
in his trombone case to drink during the band's concerts. When Shaw found out
about the bottle, he began stealing sips from it throughout the evening. This
went on for some months until one day the bewildered Teagarden finally found
out what was happening. Before the next night's concert he emptied the bottle,
peed in it and replaced it in his trombone case.

   As was his wont Shaw took a drink from it and
came running out in a fury onto the stage. "Somebody done peed in the bottle!"
he yelled, mad at everyone in the band at what he saw as an outrageous
injustice.