[Dixielandjazz] Tony Coe

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 20 12:38:39 PST 2012

> Marek Boym <marekboym at gmail.com> wrote (polite snip)
>

>> Humphrey Lyttelton, who knew, said that Bruce was like Tony Coe a
>> Willie Smith man,
>
> Tony Coe?  No way!  I haeard both more than once; most times (not
> always), I found the former "cool" (like the West Coast style) and
> boring, and the latter - always exciting!  That applies to both live
> and recored music.  Even so, Coe recorded some masterpieaces.  I have
> the Fawkes/Turner recordings, the Jump Band, lots of Humph, teh
> Dixieland All Stars (both volumes), "The Controversial Bruce Turner"
> on Lake (CD), and he always sounds wonderful.  It was that last
> recording that prompted me to write my "Dirt Bopper" email in the
> first place. I don't think he was anybody's man but his own.  Unique.
> Full stop.

Good on ya Marek:

Here's a video of Coe and 4 other Sax greats on the changes to
Chinatown my Chinatown. With the Clarke/Boland Big Band. Saxes are
Coe, Sahib Shihab, Johnny Griffin, Ronnie Scott and Derek Humble

Perhaps not OKOM, but the tune swings mightily in my ears and the Coe
solo is grand for it's angularity compared to the others. And how
about the 5 saxes together?

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband