[Dixielandjazz] Swing Dance Gigs

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Tue Jan 17 17:10:03 PST 2012

Andy Ling wrote:

> The conversations went on to speculate maybe this is were bop came from.
> The guys in the swing bands of the 30s & 40s got so bored playing for the
> dancers, they couldn't wait to try something new in the "out of hours" jam
> sessions.

I don't believe it was as simple as that.  There were a few guys who, as Charlie parker said, heard music differently.  Put a few of them together and you had Bop.

I am sure that Bix, if he had lived, would have been right in there with the boppers.

Listening to Wynton, I get the feeling that he would also like to be playing something a bit more challenging then "Dixieland."

Not all the big band players embraced Bop when it started.  In fact Manny Cline, one of the great ones, thought it was garbage.

--Bob Ringwald
www.ringwald.com
Fulton Street Jazz Band
530/ 642-9551 Office
916/ 806-9551 Cell
Amateur (Ham) Radio K6YBV

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases:
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.