[Dixielandjazz] swing dancers

Joe Hopkins jazzclarinet at cox.net
Sat Jan 14 12:52:45 PST 2012

The only line dance that we see the Lindy Hoppers do here in Arizona is the Shim Sham which Frankie Manning personally taught them around 2004. It was created in the twenties and originaly called the "Goofus" and featured tap dancers. Just google the Shim Sham if you want to see Frankie dance it. Other than that the Lindy Hoppers are dancing very complex, improvised routines. If it looks like they are improvising with a few basic steps then you are watching East Coast Swing (what beginners learn first) rather than the Lindy Hop. A couple of times as the dance circle was winding down we (the front line) left the stage and went into the circle ourselves for the out chorus.... the dancers went nuts..they loved it. We have seen the Titan Hot Seven do this as well (The AZ Lindy Hoppers favorite band).  We also see the Collegiate Shag, the Balboa and the Charleston at the swing dances we play for. We have experienced the dancers quit dancing and crowd the staqe clapping and screaming getting as close to the band as possible....and then yell for more. You gotta love it! They did this a few years ago at around 2:30 am as we had 11 musicians jamming on stage (Bria, Bob Schulz, Bob Draga and Jim Fryer being among them) at the AZ Classic Jazz Festival. We usually get around 100 swing dancers from all over the US and a few from Europe at our jazz festival. They dance until 4:00 am. The swing dances are the most enjoyable gigs we play.

We also do a jazz history show which covers jazz from 1910 to 1944. We feature swing dancers as part of the show demonstrating the dances mentioned above. Until bop came on the scene in the forties dancing was nearly always part of any jazz performance.......except for the speakesies on 52nd Street in New York where there was no room to dance. Any time I get a roaring twenties gig, a Mardi Gras gig or the like they insist that we include the dancers as part of the show. (Even in Mexico when we play for Carnival) We also do a 50 minute version of this show for schools. The kids love it.

You gotta love show business....people want to be entertained,

Cheers,

Joe Hopkins
www.joehopkins.org