[Dixielandjazz] Swing Dancers

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 14 07:54:35 PST 2012

On Jan 14, 2012, at 5:13 AM, Pat Ladd wrote:

> Personally I find their energy incredible>>
>
> Really?  We were all like that back in the late forties when all the
> dances were improvised around a few basic figures and the phemenon
> of dancers dancing in lines all doing the same routine would have
> brought gales of laughter.
>
> Pat

Dear Pat:

Tell me about it. VBG  Seems I first played at a swing dance in 1949
so I hope you are including me.

The current swing dance scene in my territory is indeed improvised,
but around slightly more than a few basic figures, (just like
Dixieland in all it's forms), vibrant, competitive, fun to watch and
performed by a respectful and wonderful segment of the younger
generation who, along with our band, are having a great time..

The many differences in throw outs, and the varying levels of
expertise by the individual dancers and couples are, like I say,
incredible. The two dance circles each night where each couple gets to
strut their stuff inside a circle of peers clapping to the rhythm are
a sight not quickly forgotten. Any couple that wants gets about 30
seconds of fame inside the ring and the band plays music as long as
someone is dancing inside the circle.

They are competitive, very different, improvised and very charming
about it. Every couple gets a huge hand. Our longest song went for
over 10 minutes at one such event as more than 20 couples went into
the circle one after the other.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband