[Dixielandjazz] Bixing on Jesse James

Gluetje1 at aol.com Gluetje1 at aol.com
Fri Jan 13 12:41:15 PST 2012

In a message dated 1/12/2012 9:55:00 P.M. Central Standard Time,
jwh66047 at gmail.com writes:

If my memory serves me right you asked if Jesse James had any  connection
with Lawrence. The answer to that is no. His exploits are associated  more
with the neighboring state of Missouri.

Wikipedia has a some brief words on Jesse James connection to  Lawrence,
Kansas.
(_http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesse_James_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesse_James) )

Johnny Cash sings The Ballad of Jesse James
(_http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcBkQiuK97Q&feature=related_
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcBkQiuK97Q&feature=related) )

As far as I know the above tune and any of the others about James  still
await any Dixieland renditions. LOL

About 75 miles southwest of St. Louis there is a cave known as Meramec
Caverns  that charges public admission fees.  It is by no means one of
Missouri's most splendid caves.  So to market to tourists, the cave is  advertised
on roadside billboards, etc. as a Jesse James hideout.   That marketing
device has worked for decades.

Now for my own kind of "bixing", my paternal great-grandfather had a story
that he shared a bunk house and ranch hand duties with Jesse James during a
 period when he was on the lam, that he never knew James true identity.
Reportedly a hard worker who got along fine with his bunkmates.

Ginny