[Dixielandjazz] Jedge, Blues is Blues

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 13 07:45:16 PST 2012

> Stephen G Barbone wrote [in part]:
>> List mate Jack Mitchell gets the cigar. It was at the copyright
>> trial of Livery Stable Blues, and involved virtually the same tune,
>> Barnyard Blues. ODJB went to great lengths to show how the tunes
>> were different.
>
> Dear Steve (and Jack),
> As you would expect,
> I am familiar with the copyright fight. As you would expect.
> But not the quote "Jedge Blues is Blues".
> Source please, so that I can officially concede defeat.
> <big grin>
> If it is in the chapter in H O Brunn''s book 'The Story of the
> Original Dixieland Jazz Band' regarding the court case, then I
> missed it.
> Although, there is  similar reference "All blues is alike..." on
> page 81.
> Nor could I find in the lengthy 'Alcide 'Yellow' Nunez: A Short
> Biography'.
> Kind regards,
> Bill.

Dear Bill:

One source is under the bio of Acide (Yellow) Nunez on the Red Hot
Jazz Site.

http://www.redhotjazz.com/yellow.html

However there is also a Variety article from October 19, 1917 that
describes some of the testimony. It quotes Judge Carpenter (who was
also a musician)  asking at the trial:

"Just what are blues?"

The expert witness, one  Professor "Slaps" White, who claimed he had
written blues for the Tom Brown Band,  responded:

"Blues are blues, that's what blues are"

See below for the article in Variety: (don't let the site name scare
you) about 1/3 of the way down on the page.

http://heartbreaktrail.wordpress.com/2011/01/29/the-end-of-rock-n-roll-dispatch-3/

Also, I have read the words "Jedge, Blues is Blues" somewhere else but
am not sure where. If the trial record still exists in Chicago, the
correct answer is there.

Anyway, it all makes for good fun .

Cheers,
Steve Barbone