[Dixielandjazz] Swing dancers vs listeners

Judy Eames jude at judyeames.co.uk
Thu Jan 12 10:19:32 PST 2012

On 12/01/2012 17:33, Judi K wrote:
> Don't knock the swing dancers who come to dance.  The old timers who 'know'
> the 'real' swing dancers are gone.

Not so in the UK there are clubs that have been going for well over 30
yrs .... and some of the original members are still dancing...... and
dancing well.

Many of the "old timers" really do dance to the music; not just the
beat.....for example  they anticipate breaks and mark time to them.
  The main problem I've seen with swing dancers (and this was at a US
festival) is that some of the dancers think that /they /are part of the
entertainment...... doing something clever and attracting applause
during a solo is bad manners IMHO on the part of dancers and audience.

Jude

jude at judyeames.co.uk