[Dixielandjazz] Swing Dancers

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 11 12:47:01 PST 2012

Andy Ling made some interesting comments about swing dancers in  some
areas only being interested in the rhythm and not the music or the band.

In my experience in the Philadelphia  PA area it is a combination of
both. Surely they are interested in the rhythm because that's what the
dance to. And they hire bands that have good rhythm sections.

On the other hand, since we've been doing swing dances for about 15
years, we have a pretty good following of kids who know and interact
with us. As a result, they cheer and clap for both solos and at the
end of each song. And they come up and talk with us on breaks. We can
see quite a few of them mouthing the words to songs like "They Can't
Take That Away From Me." or "I Can't Give You Anything But Love", asa
we play and/or sing them.

And they ask us if we saw Fats Waller, or Benny, or Artie Shaw, or
Frankie Manning etc., before they passed away. They know, at least in
our territory, about the music and the dancers of the 30s and 40s.

IMO, I think the reaction bands get from swing dancers, or any
audience for that matter, depends in large measure upon how well bands
"CONNECT" with that audience.

If a band just stands or sits there with bored looks on their faces,
they may well get that same reaction from the audience. What works for
us is getting the audience involved with program. They want to be a
part of it, so bring up a pretty girl and sing to her, or praise the
best dancers among them. Tell an anecdote about Fats Waller, or Benny
Goodman, Chick Webb, Ella, et al.

One of my favorites since we are, with one exception, a band of old
guys is:

"Several years ago, at the opera House in  Wilmington, I met Doc
Cheatham who was performing there leading a swing band. He was 97 at
the time, but still playing trumpet and singing beautifully. I was
about 70 then and asked him; 'Doc, at what age does a man lose
interest in women?' He replied; 'I don't know, you'll have to ask
someone older than me.' "

For goodness sake, these kids are young with overflowing hormones. Why
not sell the sexiness of the music and the musicians as well as the
music?

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband