[Dixielandjazz] JRM & Marsalis

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Wed Jan 4 21:33:35 PST 2012

Steve Barbone wrote:

> On Jan 1, 2012, at 2:56 PM, "Robert Ringwald" <rsr at ringwald.com> wrote about Marsalis:

>> If that is true, then he is doing a great diservice to Jazz by
>> releasing inferior examples of early Jazz.

> Dear Bob:
>
> If you still; stand by that statement, over 90% of the CDs current
> OKOM bands release should be destroyed as they do a much greater
> disservice to Jazz  by releasing far more inferior examples of early
> jazz  than anything Marsalis has released.

Dear Steve, since when has two wrongs made a right?  We are talking about Marsalis VS Morton.

>> BTW, regarding your assertion that it slows down noticeably, I put a
> metronome on it and the time at 4 minutes and 13 seconds is just about
> the same as the time at the beginning.

Better get a new metronome.

> As part of your "inferior" thesis,  you complain that the Marsalis
> version noticeably slows down. I think you might be confused as to
> which is the original JRM record. In the original by JRM  the time
> slows down quite. noticeably, starting right after the intro.

Again, two wrongs do not make a right.

As a person who obviously does a lot of reading about early Jazz, I am sure you know that in the early days of recording, the musicians and band leaders often had no control over what the producers released.  There is a lot of mistakes and tempo changes that hav been released over the past 90 or so years.  But, so what?  I still stand by my earlier comments.  In fact, I will state here that IMO the Marsalis recording of "Sidewalk Blues" is full of flaws and is not worthy of Marsalis's talent.

> According to your judgement JRM therefore did a disservice to early
> jazz.

LOL -- That's a good one Steve.  Give me a break.

--Bob Ringwald