[Dixielandjazz] JRM & Marsalis

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 2 07:10:25 PST 2012

On Jan 1, 2012, at 2:56 PM, dixielandjazz-request at ml.islandnet.com
wrote:

> "Robert Ringwald" <rsr at ringwald.com> wrote (polite snip about
> Marsalis)
>

> If that is true, then he is doing a great diservice to Jazz by
> releasing inferior examples of early Jazz.

Dear Bob:

If you still; stand by that statement, over 90% of the CDs current
OKOM bands release should be destroyed as they do a much greater
disservice to Jazz  by releasing far more inferior examples of early
jazz  than anything Marsalis has released.

BTW, regarding your assertion that it slows down noticeably, I put a
metronome on it and the time at 4 minutes and 13 seconds is just about
the same as the time at the beginning.

As part of your "inferior" thesis,  you complain that the Marsalis
version noticeably slows down. I think you might be confused as to
which is the original JRM record. In the original by JRM  the time
slows down quite. noticeably, starting right after the intro.

According to your judgement JRM therefore did a disservice to early
jazz.

To refresh your memory, here is the ORIGINAL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LFUDfcqHrk

Cheers
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband