[Dixielandjazz] Was Sharps and Flats and Hauf a Coo!

Allan Brown allanbrown at dsl.pipex.com
Wed Jan 4 05:13:09 PST 2012

Great post Pat.

My old man's Scottish, from Chapellhall near Airdrie. (The old adage being that neighbouring Coatbridge is known for coal 'an steel whilst Airdrie is known for stealin' coal!) Although I was brought up in South Africa we made a few trips over to visit my grand-parents who, due to their broad accents, I was barely able to understand a word they said. Anyhow, on one of these trips we were in Scotland for New Year's eve and my brother and I were invited to attend the local ceilidh and I was kitted out in a kilt, much to my dismay (I was about 7 I think).

What a disaster, I didn't know any of the dances, couldn't understand what anyone was saying and the only other other people there in kilts were the girls! At one stage in the proceedings the boys and girls were lined up in two rows and each side given a number. When your number was called out you had to walk behind a screen, to much cheering and jeering and kiss your correspondingly numbered partner. (What were they thinking! But, hey, it was the '70's...)

It really couldn't get much worse, but when my number was called and I disappeared behind the screen I was met by a young girl who looked no older than me and who told me in no uncertain terms that "Aam nae gonnae kiss ye coz aam gonnae it wi' Bobby Farquahar and he's a lot prettier than ye!"

All the best,

Allan

(I apologise for there being no musical relevance to this post.)