[Dixielandjazz] Marsalis & JRM

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 2 08:24:25 PST 2012

> Bill Haesler <bhaesler at bigpond.net.au> wrote (polite snip)
>
> Maybe, it is because, he has not really dug below the surface and
> absorbed it all.
> That takes years.
> Which may explain why he (and others in his band) use vibratile
> growls to simulate 'hotness'.

Dear Bill:

I need an education here. I always thought growls were an integral
part of early jazz.

e.g. Kid Ory's solo "Saints" which may be seen transcribed at:

http://www.trombone.org/articles/library/evojazz1-saints.asp

See the "growl" notations in various parts of the solo.

I suspect the solo was transcribed from the below record where ORY
growls plenty on his solo. But then it was recorded in 1954 and maybe
he was pandering to the great unwashed. VBG:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmygGOmMZpY

And then there is Gunther Schuller who writes about the Sam Morgan
Jazz Band circa 1927: "Notable too are Sam Morgan's simple but hard
driving cornet lines in the outside choruses, some with growls and wah-
wahs, and the extra ensemble intensity of the last chorus . . ."  (I
have listened to this band on you tube but cannot hear any growls)

BTW, Wild Bill Davison was a bit of a growler too wasn't he? Surely he
did not have to simulate hotness.

Or the modified growl of Edmund Hall on clarinet yet.

Or Tricky Sam Nanton and Lawrence Brown.

And then there was Bubber Miley . . .

And Trummy Young, but then he was later. VBG. Check his solo at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncXtUml7M6M

Even Louis has a slight growl at 1:34 on the above youtube

What In do not understand is that with all these hot growlers around,
and there are many more, why do we pick on Marsalis et al for growling?

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband