[Dixielandjazz] Red Holloway R.I.P.

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Sun Feb 26 13:46:37 PST 2012

Bopper?  Sort of, but not quite.  And any jazz misician should be a
blues player.  Many years ago, in an interview with the "In My
Opinion" column of the "Jazz Jounal" (I don't remember it as
"International" in those days), Keith Smith criticized Buster Bailey
for not being a blues player.
I have heard Holloway both live and on record, and he always sounded
OKOM (not trad) to me.  Even Donna, whose tastes are more traditional
than mine, loved his playing when she heard him at a jazz festival
(Elkhart?).  In Israel, he played with a swing group, and did not
sound out of place.
Cheers