[Dixielandjazz] Jelly Roll Morton, was NO Wanderers

Anton Crouch anton.crouch at optusnet.com.au
Fri Feb 24 19:41:07 PST 2012

Hello all

Ken Mathieson's point about how Jelly Roll Morton arranged his recorded
performances is a very good one and I can remember reading, some time
ago, remarks made by Omer Simeon (or was it George Mitchell?) on this
matter. It seems that JRM scrupulously laid-out the performance on a
bar-by-bar basis, identifying ensembles, solos and breaks. The form had
to strictly adhered-to but the detail of the solos and breaks was at the
discretion of the individual players.

The two takes of /Cannon Ball Blues/ (Chicago, 16 December 1926)
demonstrate the performance variability that can occur within a
seemingly very tight structure. The first take swings along nicely and
lasts 2:50. The second take is much slower (3:30) and has the hint of a
Habanera rhythm. Entirely different "compositions". There is also a
memorable difference in George Mitchell's second, brief solo. In the
first take he blows an astonishing flurry of notes; in the second take
he articulates. Can any of our DJML trumpeters tell me what is the
technical term for what Mitchell does in that first take?

All the best,
Anton