[Dixielandjazz] Louis Armstrong's Mouth Piece

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Fri Feb 24 15:02:13 PST 2012

Daniel Augustine wrote:
>    I was talking with some trumpet players last night, and they told me something
i had never heard before -- that Louis Armstrong used a saw on his mouthpiece to
abrade the rim in four places, so that (apparently) it would stay in place more firmly,
even though it made his lip bleed.  Is there any truth to that?
I saw one of Armstrong's mouth pieces at Floyd Levin's house.  I also held one of
his trumpets at the Armstrong Archives at Queen's College in NY.  But don't remember
feeling any grooves in the mouth pieces.
--Bob Ringwald