[Dixielandjazz] Mouthpieces

Jeff Helgesen jeff.helgesen at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 12:24:06 PST 2012

Bob, and list:

> While we're on the subject of mouthpieces:
>
> Has anyone ever designed or tried to design a mouthpiece where the part that
> contacts ones face is not the rounded end of a cylinder?

There have been some interesting designs implemented for trumpet
players.  One is John Lynch's Asymmetric design:

http://www.asymmetric-mouthpiece.com/design.htm

(I have one of these mouthpieces, and haven't been able to figure out
how to make it work.)

Another is the Wedge mouthpiece:

http://www.wedgemouthpiece.com/

(I think this design may have been attempted many years ago, but
lathing/CNC technology and modular mouthpiece design have allowed
inventive minds to pursue this more aggressively.)

I know folks that use one or the other of these designs and are
successful with it.  I don't know if there's any push in this
direction for trombone mouthpieces. Trumpet players are, I think, more
likely to squander their meager earnings in purchasing gear instead of
practicing.  :)

Cheers,
Jeff

--