[Dixielandjazz] NO Wanderers, was Chicago jazz show

Anton Crouch anton.crouch at optusnet.com.au
Thu Feb 23 02:33:23 PST 2012

Hello all

I agree with Adrian Ford's assessment of the relative merits of the New
Orleans Wanderers (and Bootblacks) and JRM's Red Hot Peppers in 1926.
But not the reason for it. :-)

Jelly Roll Morton was undoubtedly a magnificent pianist but his genius
lay in composing. Like Beethoven, his orchestral works can be found,
distilled, in the piano versions. His Red Hot Peppers recordings of 1926
and 1927 are the acme of recorded jazz, not due to Morton's piano
playing, but due to the orchestral colour and complexity.

By comparison, Lil Hardin was a rhythmic pianist who could easily
obviate the need for drums. Did she "whack away" ? No, no - that's a bit
unkind. She was SOLID.

Also, we shouldn't compare the Wanderers/Bootlblacks with the Red Hot
Peppers, but with the Hot Five. The Wanderers/Bootblacks were the Hot
Five with George Mitchell replacing (for contractual reasons) Louis
Armstrong.

OK, now let's get controversial - was Mitchell a  better ensemble player
than Armstrong. I'll say "yes' and duck.

All the best,
Anton