[Dixielandjazz] Mouthpieces (was: Louis Armstrong mouthpiece)

John McClernan mcclernan1 at verizon.net
Wed Feb 22 09:24:52 PST 2012

Allan,
I'll stick with instruments made in the USA. I have yet to see/play/repair a brass instrument made in China that is worth buying.

Though I have not played one of those plastic trombones, I HAVE played virtually every plastic sousaphone (and tubas when they used to make them) ever produced. None of them measured up to the brass ones. Plastic just doesn't vibrate and resonate like brass.  Maybe it's acceptable on a clarinet or an oboe or a piccolo, but I'm from Missouri when it comes to "plastic brass".
My 2¢.
Cheers,
John