[Dixielandjazz] Louis Armstrong's mouthpiece

Daniel Augustine ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
Tue Feb 21 07:25:23 PST 2012

DJML--
    I was talking with some trumpet players last night, and they told me something i had never heard before -- that Louis Armstrong used a saw on his mouthpiece to abrade the rim in four places, so that (apparently) it would stay in place more firmly, even though it made his lip bleed.  Is there any truth to that?

    Dan

**  Dan Augustine  --  Austin, Texas  --  ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
**     "Once, during Prohibition, I was forced to live for days
**      on nothing but food and water." -- W.C. Fields (1880-1946)