[Dixielandjazz] Don't Shoot, We're American 2

Steve Voce stevevoce at virginmedia.com
Tue Feb 21 04:14:58 PST 2012

One of the most consistently good-humored groups of musicians to visit
Britain has been that of Count Basie. Generally addressed by his
musicians as "Base" (to rhyme with Maize) the Count is perhaps the most
easy-going and unorthodox of bandleaders. While other men are martinets
or suffer from "star" temperament, Bill Basie mixes in with the boys in
the band.
On a coach trip with the band, trumpeter Thad Jones and I were sitting
behind the Boss, who was dropping off to sleep. Wanting to attract his
attention Thad reached over and pulled Basie's hat firmly down over his
head. While the unfortunate Count struggled with both hands to get it
off, Thad beat him mercilessly with a rolled-up newspaper.
After a second house concert the whole band was starving, none of them
having eaten since breakfast. Suddenly the stage door burst open and a
phalanx of variously bearded men (there are more different types of
beards in the Basie band than there are obsolete British rockets) forced
their way through the crowd of autograph hunters in search of food.
Dick Huddart and I, who once again had already eaten, had joined Billy
Mitchell, Benny Powell, and Sonny Cohn. It was after ten and the pubs
had closed, and at the best of times Liverpool on a Sunday night is not
a good place to eat.
After some ten to fifteen minutes of driving round in Huddart's car
looking for a cafe, Billy Mitchell began making comments from the backseat.
"Man," he said, adjusting his heavily framed glasses. "I sure do like
the way this town is laid out. The fellow who laid this town out sure
knew what he was doing." We passed two or three more restaurants which
had the blinds drawn. "I don't know how long it's been dead, but I sure
like the way it's laid out."
Finally we decided on a Chinese restaurant in the town center. It was
evidently a popular decision, because by the time we arrived practically
the whole band was there. A hint of what was to follow was given by the
picture that presented itself at the door.
Joe Williams and Charlie Fowlkes were standing up at their table and
shouting at a Chinese waiter. By various gestures and threats they were
trying to make him understand what they wanted. The waiter, true to the
characteristics of his race, remained inscrutably silent. He seemed to
be working on the principle that it was only a matter of time before
they discovered that he didn't speak English, and that nothing he could
say could add any en¬lightenment. The situation was made more comic by
the fact that the waiter was about five feet high, and Williams and
Fowlkes are both of giant stature.
However, he had nothing on the waiter who finally came to serve us. Our
waiter could understand a few words of English but, apparently from
deliberate malice, brought the antithesis of any order that was given
him. Consequently Sonny Cohn's chicken chow mein appeared in the shape
of a Spanish omelette, Benny Powell's lobster salad became chop suey and
rice. In Billy Mitchell's case the waiter really excelled himself. I
don't remember what Billy ordered, but I'm sure the fiendish-looking
concoction which was finally laid before him could never have been
envisaged by anything but the most intensely oriental mind.
"I'll knife him! I'll murder him!" Sonny Cohn, who had no thought of
pouring oil on troubled waiters, embarked on a detailed catalogue of
what would be the fate of the waiter if left to Sonny Cohn. Billy
Mitchell was more positive. He hurriedly swallowed the tragedy on his
plate, recalled the waiter and placed his original order again. This
time the waiter brought him a plate of fried rice. Billy gently began to
explain to the waiter what he had originally wanted. He went into great
detail, but the waiter had him licked. He just stood there impervious to
everything. Gradually Billy's explanation built up into a crescendo of
invective which had Huddart and I gasping with admiration. But the
strain was too much and finally he sat down exhausted and asked the
waiter quietly for a glass of water. The waiter brought him a coffee.
Meanwhile Charlie Fowlkes and Joe Williams were still having trouble.
"For God's sake," Williams was saying. "You mean to say you work in a
Chinese restaurant and you don't know what Soya sauce is?" Like his
colleague, the waiter let Williams beat his brains out against an
unruffled silence. "Boy, I need a drink after this lot." Billy Mitchell
mopped his brow. It was then that I released the fact that the pubs had
closed an hour before. Thoroughly beaten and suffering from various
stages of chronic indigestion, the Count's men returned sadly to their
hotel (no bar) for an early night.

The Ellington method of eating on tour, as one might expect, is more
regally eccentric. In the dressing-room Duke will produce from his
pockets the various parts of a large dismembered chicken, elegantly
draped in silk handkerchiefs. He offers the limbs around with graceful
elegance: "Does anyone wish to dine?"
Later in the evening we drove by taxi, in company with clarinettist
Jimmy Hamilton and his wife, Jimmy Rushing, Clark Terry, and a varied
assortment of Ellingtonians, to a club in Liverpool's Upper Parliament
Street. Upper Parliament Street approximates to a 1960 equivalent of old
Storyville, albeit a little quieter and less colorful.
The reason for the visit was that Mrs. Hamilton had heard from somewhere
that red beans and rice were on the menu and, tired of egg and chips,
she felt that red beans and rice were essential to her continued well-being.
We were all comfortably seated (Jimmy Rushing in characteristic pose
with napkin tucked in collar) and ready to eat when the waitress
informed us that red beans and rice had never been and would not ever as
far as she knew be on the menu.
I could see one of those incidents looming up, and when Jimmy Rushing
stood up and offered to instruct the cook on the preparation of the
dish, I reached for my hat.
However, Little Jimmy made the journey to the kitchen and in a moment
returned with the assurance that the red beans and rice would not be
many minutes.
When it finally came it turned out to be West Indian red beans and rice
which, so I am told, is just not the same as American red beans and
rice. Nevertheless the incident does demonstrate the potential of a
native American with his back to the wall in a serious situation
especially Jimmy Rushing's back.

Earl Hines has the elegance and confidence which kills crises before
they arise. When satisfied he moves his cigar to the other side of his
mouth (Earl is seldom without a cigar in his mouth I believe he has one
there while he sleeps) and compliments the waiter with "Good deal,
Jack."When Earl has been directed to the bathroom, when a porter holds
the door for him, the reply always is the same: "Good deal, Jack."
In fact, if told that he had been chosen to be the first man into space,
I know what his reply would be.
Woody Herman has a similar elegance in his dealings with waiters who
seem to look upon him as being the man they were born to serve.

Waiters and hotel staff combine with American musicians to make a highly
combustible mixture, but not all the ensuing pantomimes can be laid at
the door of the caterers. Not by a long way.
Paul Desmond, altoist with the Dave Brubeck Quartet, is probably the
most mild-mannered and retiring American one could envisage. Nervous and
haunted, he is a man who would go to any lengths to preserve the
sanc¬tity of privacy and, like the retiring but well-intentioned Bill
Harris, is much liable to be misunderstood.
During the Quartet's first tour he decided to catch the midnight train
back to London (the rest of the group were staying overnight) a decision
which gave us ninety minutes to kick our heels in a station waiting-room
full of tramps and drunks.
It was February and very cold outside. The waiting-room was smothered in
that stifling British Railways heat which knows no moderation. Sweat and
beer fumes contributed to produce a sticky jungle humidity. Occasionally
the drunks convulsed into two or three bars of song. Every so often one
would fall off a chair and lie, still asleep, sprawling on the floor.
The whole impression was that of a prison camp during the height of the
Indian mutiny.
Paul and I squeezed into a corner and after about ten minutes had
be¬come a part of the scenery, rendered partially unconscious by the
atmos¬phere and the fact that we were both wearing overcoats- -there was
hardly room to take them off.
 From outside came sounds of approaching turbulence and discordant
voices yelled the lyrics of one of Mr. Presley's current million-sellers.
Finally the door burst open and three teenage girls rioted into the
room, causing instant chaos and enforced reshuffling amongst the drunks
and layabouts.
For some reason we attracted their attention, and one of them came
across and tried to pick up Paul's alto case. He snatched it back with a
quick movement and smiled at her nervously. He held the case on his
knee, apparently to protect it and himself from further onslaught.
"Hey mister," the hoyden shrieked accusingly, "you're a caveman, aren't
you?"
"Huh? Who me? No, I guess not. I guess not." Desmond's voice cracked as
he shrank back in his chair.
"He is. Isn't he?" she turned accusingly to me. It was all rather like a
denunciation in the French Revolution.
"Isn't he a caveman?" She turned to her two colleagues who were eagerly
closing in. "Doris! You come and look at this feller. Isn't he a caveman?"
Without hanging around for further enlightenment we picked up our things
and, pursued by the accusing cries, fumbled our way out into the cold.
The harridans showed every sign of joining in pursuit, so we ran.
Paul's train had by now arrived at its platform, so I saw him onto it.
He huddled into a corner sea`, swathed in coats and scarves, looking
miserable enough to convince me that he wouldn't sleep so well during
the journey.
It wasn't until I was on the bus going home that I found the solution.
Looking through the window I saw a poster lit momentarily by the lights
from the bus. It advertised the show at the local music-hall, and in big
letters at the top it said:

“TOMMY STEELE AND THE CAVEMEN.”

I often wondered how Desmond figured it out.

Big Bill Broonzy was a mighty man, and while I can only relate the
following incident at secondhand, I'm pretty sure of its truth.
Bill was being driven by car from one city to another, and he and his
driver stopped en route at a transport cafe for a meal.
Bill pored over the menu which contained the usual heady variety of
exotic dishes:

Sausage and Chips Egg and Chips
Egg Sausage and Chips Pie and Chips Egg Pie and Chips

Bill scratched his head and asked the man behind the counter: "Is
everything you got with chips?"
"Yes, mate."
"Well, I guess that's it then. Bring me a double whisky and chips."