[Dixielandjazz] Jack Fay - Queens Jazz Musician

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sun Feb 19 08:56:10 PST 2012

Dear Edie:

I think that might have been me who wrote about your Dad originally on
the DJML.  I played with him in  a band called The Beale Street
Stompers, led by trumpeter Ken Butterfield, at a bunch of gigs on Long
Island in the 1950s. He was subbing for our regular bassist Charlie
Traeger who had gotten a 3 month residency at Nick's. I used to pick
Jack up at your home in Bayside and drive him to the gigs. I lived in
neighboring Flushing about two miles away.

We also spent quite a bit of time together at Sammy Spear's music
store on Northern Boulevard near 161st Street, in the Flushing,
Queens, section of NYC. I bought my first "real professional grade"
clarinet, a Buffet, from Sammy in the 1950s. Cost $420 as I remember
and that was a a lot of money in those days..

Your dad and Charlie Traeger used to share bass time at Nick's in the
Village. Like 3 months or so it would be Charlie on Bass, with Billy
Maxted and the for the next 3 months it would be Jack with Phil
Napoleon. They both did some gigs there with Pee Wee Erwin also.

I really enjoyed talking with Jack as we drove to gigs. He was about
20 years older, give or take, than me and we'd talk about his "good
old days." Often, after gigs, we'd have Symphony Sid on the car radio
playing some great jazz. We'd pass your house and keep driving around
listening and talking about the music, sometimes until dawn.

Jack was a really good guy, who also played beautiful jazz bass. We
were all stunned when he passed away. Regarding the recording, that
may have been Bill Haesler who wrote about it. So I copied him on this
message.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband