[Dixielandjazz] Song lyrics + Brits

Anton Crouch anton.crouch at optusnet.com.au
Sat Feb 18 16:11:34 PST 2012

Hello all

A change in lyrics that has stuck in my mind is Wingy Mannone's /The
music goes round and around/. Instead of 'Listen to the jazz come out',
Wingy sings 'Listen to the mocking bird'.

This leads, perhaps, to a new topic.

In listening to various versions of /The music goes round and around/ on
YouTube, I came across the 1936 performance by Henry Hall and the BBC
Dance Orchestra. The British dance bands of this era swung in a way that
was different to their north American cousins - closer to strict tempo
and more pulse. A welcome relief to the relentlessness from across the
Atlantic.

All the best,
Anton