[Dixielandjazz] For the drummers

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Feb 18 07:08:06 PST 2012

Drummers visiting NYC might want to stop in and visit Steve Maxwell
Vintage and Custom Drums. If only to see that $30,000 drum kit Louie
Bellson gave to Sammy Davis Jr.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband

Boom Times for a Seller of Drums

by Rebecca Flint Marx - NY Times - Feb 16, 2012

WEDGED between a strip joint and a neon-fringed brasserie, the
entrance to 723 Seventh Avenue does not demand attention. For a jazz
drummer, however, it may as well be the gateway to Narnia.

A three-floor elevator ride above the dissonant grind of the theater
district, Steve Maxwell Vintage and Custom Drums sits as calm and
orderly as a library. The main showroom is a percussive playground:
bass drums, tom-toms and snares neatly stacked four and five high,
their shells lustrous shades of mahogany, indigo, copper and champagne
sparkle, accented by winking chrome.

Leather stick and cymbal bags hang from the blond wood walls, waiting
to be plucked by the people who weave among the instruments,
appraising them with scholarly gravity. The frequent pop and sparkle
of snare drums and ride cymbals emanate from two glass-fronted, sound-
insulated demo rooms, a legacy of the third floor’s previous tenant, a
recording studio.

“We’re very lucky,” Steve Maxwell, the proprietor, said one afternoon
this winter. “When we rented this space, the soundproofing was already
here. If we didn’t have it, we wouldn’t be able to have a conversation
with a customer.”

Mr. Maxwell, 59, was in the former control room, a space that
functions as a museum of sorts for rare and extremely valuable vintage
kits. A yellow Gretsch kit that the jazz drummer Elvin Jones played
from 1970 to 1979 was on loan from the Rolling Stones’s Charlie Watts,
a friend of Mr. Maxwell’s. It sat cheek by jowl with Peter Erskine’s
maple Yamaha tour kit from his Steely Dan days, yours for $8,500.
Nearby was a $30,000 white marine pearl Rogers set with gold-plated
hardware that the jazz drummer Louie Bellson gave to Sammy Davis Jr.

The almost four-year-old shop, near 48th Street, is itself a rarity,
the only serious drum store left in New York City, and one of a few
nationwide to survive the Internet, the economy and big-box retailers.
On this afternoon, Mr. Maxwell and his employees were busy absorbing
inventory from Drummers World, a nearby shop that closed earlier that
week.

“I tip my hat to Barry,” Mr. Maxwell said of the defunct store’s
owner, Barry Greenspon. “Thirty-two years, that’s a good run. I’m
going to miss him.”

When he was a teenager in Rhode Island, Mr. Maxwell would take the bus
to New York and hang out at Frank Ippolito’s Professional Percussion
Center in Midtown, where he studied with the legendary Papa Jo Jones.
After playing professionally for several years, he landed in Chicago,
where he ran a technology business and opened the first location of
Maxwell’s in 2002.

The New York store functions both as a community center and as a
destination for gawkers and serious customers. “We get everyone from
celebrities getting custom work done to Broadway players to weekend
warriors,” Willie Martinez, the store’s in-house repairman, said.

Heavies like Steve Jordan, Jeff Hamilton and Vinnie Colaiuta visit
when they come through town. But those with less-intimidating résumés
are also welcome. Andy Hazlitt browsed a wall of snares as his 15-year-
old son, Cole, tried out some old K Zildjian cymbals he had seen on
Maxwell’s Web site. He and his family were visiting for the weekend
from Clearwater, Fla. “We made a pilgrimage,” Mr. Hazlitt said. “We
stop at Macy’s, Bloomingdale’s and here.”

On another winter afternoon, Jay Friedman, 64 and recently retired,
dropped in to pay for his weekly lessons with Ron Tierno, a musician
and teacher who has a studio in the store.

“I walked in here and thought, ‘This is pretty cool,’ ” Mr. Friedman
said, recalling his first visit. “Sam Ash” — the music megastore down
the street — “is a big machine. This place is a little jewel.”