[Dixielandjazz] Crawling/growling baby

ROBERT R. CALDER serapion at btinternet.com
Wed Feb 15 11:46:52 PST 2012

Short of my finding and possibly discrediting something I read decades ago, in the absence of a label reproduction, I can only suppose the interesting title had something to do with the misreading of a handwritten note accompanying an early tape dub of a copy of the 78 rpm disc. It might seem to have been carelessness, if it's forgotten how far from easy communications were, even at the time the growling name was being printed on an LP label and sleeve.

And of course I repeat my expression of great respect for Bill Haesler as one, albeit junior, of the heroic pioneers of jazz discography, not to mention generous sharers who confirm the phrase love of the music. And the energy and co-ordination came from enthusiasts for this list's OKOM.

Robert R. Calder