[Dixielandjazz] Vocal gaffe

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Mon Feb 13 14:49:49 PST 2012

Bob Smith wrote:
> Jazz Directory Vol. 5 (McCarthy / Carey publ. Cassell 1955) has on p.798 Paramount 12880 as 'That Growling Baby Blues'.

Dear Bob (and Robert),
Thank you.
It does indeed.
I have that set of books. Bought them as they were published.
However, I rarely use them to check out pre-1940s recordings, as discographal research has come a long way since 1955.
Could JD have been the source for the Milestone error?
I doubt it.
As Riverside was the source for the later Milestone LP reissues, I checked the Riverside 1950s catalogues.
Found it.
"That Crawling Baby Blues" was reissued on Riverside RLP 12-125 as "That Growling Baby Blues".
So is most likely the source for the Jazz Directory entry.
Long since corrected in Blind Lemon Jefferson discographies.
What a can of worms.
8>)
Very kind regards,
Bill.