[Dixielandjazz] Adding a letter to a line

ROBERT R. CALDER serapion at btinternet.com
Sun Feb 12 14:33:44 PST 2012

This is the famous hepatic device as in

when your liver has gone  etc.

There is the Memphis Minnie one (and Minnie was one of the major composers of blues lines as in melody, and as in words)
In a recorded duet with her, one of her subsequent ex-husbands varied the official
Can I do something for you?
into
Can I do something to you?
and she brought out her full sharp meaning when she replied,
No, you can't do nothing for me.....

Tampa Red was once amused by a request for one of his naughty songs:

the patron indeed added just one letter, which did away with the double-ness of the entendre

-- the result was a little too unsavoury for me to volunteer it here.
The fact that he lived to a good age indicates that Tampa managed to avoid laughing.

"Specially cremated for me..." has a pedigree in comedy sketches where a male comedian stares into the blackness of his dinner...

bone appetit!

Robert