[Dixielandjazz] Trombonists

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sat Feb 11 12:55:24 PST 2012

Eric Holroyd wrote [in part]:
> When I got a trombone in my first brass band at age 13 one of the senior band members gave me my one and only lesson...but not before giving me a final ‘trombonist tip’...‘When you go to the third position you can check that you’re in the correct spot by stretching out your middle finger and touching the trombone bell’.

Dear Eric,
It sounds as though this was universal advice.
When I played trombone (1949-52) in the Williamstown City Brass Band in Melbourne, Australia, I too was given that instruction.
After returning the trombone following that brief experience, I did notice jazz trombonists doing it from time-to-time.
But never gave it much thought.
An interesting thread.
Very kind regards,
Bill.