[Dixielandjazz] Trombonists

jim at kashprod.com jim at kashprod.com
Sat Feb 11 05:51:12 PST 2012

The "middle finger" habit mentioned by Eric is a terrible no-no for
anyone attempting to play seriously.  It's going to slow you down,
period.  Having said that, I have been spotted by a fellow trombonist
doing it.  I found that very upsetting, and "watched myself" for
awhile.  Turns out, the only time I do it is when using the plunger
mute, and I will occassionally flip out the finger, but it has to do
with getting the mute readjusted while I support the horn with the
other finger. It is definitely wrong to get into this bad habit. I
won't be impressed by someone telling me so & so does it & he is one
of the big ones.  It is still a bad practice, and the big name that
does it has just worked around what is still a bad habit.

Jim