[Dixielandjazz] The Key To Marketing Jazz

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 7 13:59:29 PST 2012

The below is from Mark Kramer. He is from Philadelphia, an excellent
jazz pianist and off the wall humorist. I was lucky enough to gig with
him last year when he subbed for our guitarist on a Dixieland gig.
This snip is from an interview he did and is published in this month's
"Jazz Inside".

"The key to marketing jazz, beyond obtaining grants and corporate
write-offs: sponsorships - is simply the same key as marketing a very
specific kind of product that:

1) nobody truly needs for survival

2) does not have a built in demand

3) requires an effort to learn and use

4) is only appreciated by an inbred group that could care less about
success and which relishes infighting over minutiae and teenage stuff."

You may be able to download the entire Magazine here. Be warned,
however,it is mainly for, excuse the expression, modern jazz fans and
musos. However, the 16 pages of jazz events in NYC are worth noting.

http://jazzinsidemagazine.com/publications/guide/february-2012

You can, if interested, read about this extraordinary musician at:

http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/musician.php?id=1485

Our dixieland gig was a lot of fun with Mark on piano. I gave him the
tune list a week in advance and he had them down cold. Backed the
ensemble like Gene Schroeder would have and then took off on some
magnificent flights of fancy on his solos. He asked if he should stay
in stride mode on solos, and I told him, no, just play however he
wanted. Wow!

Cheers,
Steve barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband