[Dixielandjazz] Louis & The Dukes

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Sun Dec 30 10:33:29 PST 2012

Hi Jim,

>>Yes, the standard of the one with the Dukes is lower, but I've always
> attributed it to the inferiority of the accompanying band as compared to any
> of the others!
>
> Ah, Marek.  I've just got to defend the Dukes here!
>
> The blogger admits that Louis was not in form for this recording, and that
> it was little more than a jam session.
>
> On top of that, if you play one of the earlier versions back & forth with
> the two versions (hit pause & play), you will notice that the tempo is
> considerably slower in the Duke's version, thus making it a less exciting
> version altogether.

I did notice right away that the Dukes version wasslower; does that
necessarily make a tune less exciting?  I wonder.  While Muggsy was no
Satchmo, I've always found his"Relaxin' at the Touro" and "Lonesome
Road" extremely exciting.

> You really can't blame the "backing band" on this one.  None of them, the
> "star" nor the backers were in form for that recording, although there is a
> very good trombone solo.

But, at the best of times, they were never equal to any but the
latestversions of the "All Stars."

Cheers