[Dixielandjazz] Spade Cooley

Bob Romans cellblk7 at comcast.net
Wed Dec 26 12:29:42 PST 2012

Red Murrell played tenor banjo, fiddle,and sang vocals in my band for about
3 years in the late 1980's. He had a voice like Jim Reeves
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJWo6YVpV-o) and handled the mike for us. He
was a DJ on the radio in San Jose (  <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KZSF>
KEEN radio (1370 AM)) when he was contackted by.well, here's the story;

"After he had served eight years,
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Department_of_Corrections_and_Rehab
ilitation> the state of California agreed to parole him on February 22,
1970. In November 1969, he received 72-hour furlough to play a
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benefit_concert> benefit concert for the
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alameda_County_Sheriff%27s_Office> Deputy
Sheriffs Association of
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alameda_County,_California> Alameda County at
the Oakland Auditorium, now known as the
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_J._Kaiser_Convention_Center> Henry J.
Kaiser Convention Center, in
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oakland,_California> Oakland. After the
performance, on November 23, Cooley suffered a fatal heart attack in the
backstage area."

Red was authorized to  leed a pick-up band of Western Swing musicians to
back him at the benefit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Murrell

In the '40's, Red dated Mary Ford.he told me Les Paul shot him out of the
saddle.

Warm Regards

Bob Romans

Cell Block 7 Jazz Band