[Dixielandjazz] Season's Greetings from the Brodsky's

Haupt Dave srdaven at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 23 18:08:56 PST 2012

Fellow DJML Member Robert Brodsky sent a posting with four attachments, which prevented it from making it through the filtering software.  It seemed appropriate to ensure that it actually made it to the list, so here it is.

To respond direclty to Robert, email rfoxbro at aol.com

Dave Haupt
Asst DJML moderator

====================

SEASON’S GREETINGS FROM THE BRODSKYs
TO OUR FAMILY AND DEAR FRIENDS - from the SENIOR ZONE

   WE WISH YOU
A WONDERFUL HAPPY
       2013!

   Alas, the past year, 2012, was our worst year ever – emotionally and physically. We are glad it is behind us, as we hope for a better 2013.

     The day after Thanksgiving, our oldest son, Bobby, died of heart failure and other complications, after being on a downhill slope for over a year. He was a wonderful, strange, and endowed person. He was a great ceramist and artist (attachment deleted).

     We underwent a major change in life style in March. We moved inland from our 32-year run at the beloved beach and sailing into a retirement community, Claremont Manor, into the lovely college town where we had married, lived and made our family complete from 1956 to 1971. The Manor is a large campus consisting of individual houses, cottages, and apartments. The main structure is ‘H’-shaped, with the apartments (1 & 2 bedroom) being on the East-West sides of the ‘H’, and the middle section having the restaurant on the lowest sunken floor; the front office and other offices and facilities on the ground floor, and  a large meeting room, a library and a smaller meeting room on the top floor. This structure is surrounded by the other major care facilities: The Assisted Living Building; The Alzheimer’s building, and a large Care Center- a hospital with no doctors on duty.  The houses, cottages, and two other apartment buildings are on the
 periphery of what is essentially an entire city block.

     We live in a cottage with an attached single car garage, which now doubles as our gallery for pictures and art work. We have a beautiful house, holding most of our beach condo furnishings, except our overly large dining table. It has a large living room with fireplace, a dining area, a full kitchen, a bedroom with a ‘built-in’ office nook, and a wonderful patio, with dog-run (we are considering it) and laundry room. The basic reasons for our moving were that Patti wanted to be relieved of housekeeping and cooking; and I could no longer board our sailboat without the crew helping me. So back to Claremont , where we can live out our lives (we hope not at the Alzheimer’s facility) near Patti’s first cousin, Tom, and his large family. Moving was very trying – we both ended up in the hospital and subsequent Care center twice, but now are both well and reasonably healthy. We use scooters to get us to he dining hall ~ 50 yards away.

     The year was not a total loss: In February I received a heartwarming letter of citation from the President of USC (attached); finished and published my fifth book (attached); and Patti and I have both ‘performed’ here to what Patti calls “The Inmates”- she was in a  Noel Coward play reading and I gave one of my New Orleans Jazz ‘lectures’. And on December 7, I was the only guest on a WEBcast - The Space Show (attached).

WE SEND OUR  LOVE
                                                                  PAT  &   BOB