[Dixielandjazz] Marian McPartland

ROBERT R. CALDER serapion at btinternet.com
Sun Dec 23 16:41:12 PST 2012

It may be indelicate to mention the lady's age, but

quite apart from her place of birth,
Marian McPartland was too young to be included in the first Who's Who in Jazz
prepared by Johnny Chilton
and subtitled Storyville to Swing Street

Given what various hornmen have said to me about pianists
perhaps the lady also deserves a word for nourishing
the inspiration that shines from Lips Page's last studio recording.

I heard her one Monday night in Humphrey Lyttelton's chair on radio,
and on the following couple of jazz-festival-going days
I mentioned to various musicians what she had said about them.
I believe she likes saying nice things about people behind their backs
(another form of accompaniment)
Scott Hamilton seemed awestruck at the mere mention of her name
Dave McKenna lit up

Robert R. Calder