[Dixielandjazz] Looking For info on guitarist Ronnie Singer

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Tue Dec 18 18:17:58 PST 2012

An interesting story sent by a member of the Simi Jazz Club…
Can you help???

sent: Wednesday, December 12, 2012 6:59 PM

Ronnie Singer was a Chicago/New York guitar player who died at the young
age of 25. In that short period of time he developed an incredible
reputation among jazz musicians as an innovative, unique guitarist who
could only be appreciated if his music is actually heard.
Now, more than 60 years later, his name has surfaced world-wide as a
father of the be-bop movement. Young jazz musicians have begun to teach
about his musical genius in places as far away as Paris and The Hague. A
piece of music has been composed for him. The Just Jazz Guitar Magazine,
November, 2012 issue, has a full spread article on Ronnie.
As his sister, I have compiled as much information as I can acquire so
as to prepare to write his biography. Recently, one European musician
wrote to me, saying he heard a recording done by Artie Shaw that had an
incredible guitar solo. Listening closely, he and his colleagues
determined it could only have been Ronnie playing. Ronnie had played
with Charlie Parker, Dizzy Gillespie, Harry James, and many, many more
bands.
I'm hoping, in writing this letter, that one of you knows something
about Ronnie that you can offer, whether it be having known him
personally, knowing someone who did know him personally, having some of
his music, or any other leads you can come up with.
I have been called by the President of the Jazz Hall of Fame to give my
permission to have Ronnie included in the new museum that will be
erected in Chicago. All of this information will be included in what I
offer to the exhibit. Any help you can give me will be noted.
Thank you for your cooperation in "Finding Ronnie Singer."
Joyce Singer-Glantz
gglantz at ucla.edu
818-216-8743

-Bob Ringwald
www.ringwald.com
Amateur (ham) Radio Operator K6YBV
916/ 806-9551

"The vote is the instrument and symbol of a free person's power to make a
fool of himself, and a wreck of his country." -Ambrose Bierce