[Dixielandjazz] Old But new

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 09:00:58 PST 2012

Records are not always representative of nightly playing.  Ages ago I
borrowed a VoA LP by great musicians from the Tel Aviv USIS library,
musicians I loved and cherished (still do).  Two live performances.
Each side was more boring than the previous one, irrespective of order
of playing.  Of course, it shouldn't have been issued.  Both leaders
and all the sidemen continued playing and recording much better
things.
I've never said the standards were not great tunes - that's why
they've become standards.  But I've heard well known pros, revered by
many on the list (no names shall be mentioned publicly), playing as if
they were asleep, two nights in a row, thus excluding the "bad night"
excuse.
And I have heard from musicians that they were bored playing the same
tunes seven times a week, night after night.  BTW, I did bring this up
in a context, which by now has become lost.
Cheers