[Dixielandjazz] Old But new

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Thu Dec 13 19:33:32 PST 2012

Marek wrote:
>I remembered asking a participant in the Mississippi RAg Forum whether it
had occurred to him that the musicians might be bored playing Royal Garden
Blues or ST. James' Infirmary for umpteen times.  His reply was that if so,
they shouldn't play traditional jazz.

Marek, Those are great tunes as are tunes such as Royal Garden, Canal Street, Back Home Again in Indiana, etc. It is all in playing them with enthusiasm and excitement plus a little different each time.

As an example, listen to Eddie Condon playing the songs in the late 20s and 30s. Then listen to his recordings of the mid 50s, same tunes.

Unlike a lot of bands, I have no trouble with playing “Wonderful World” or “The Saints.” The crowd loves the tunes and we play them well.

-Bob Ringwald
www.ringwald.com
Amateur (ham) Radio Operator K6YBV
916/ 806-9551

"Jesus loves you."
A nice gesture in church but a terrible thing to hear in a Mexican prison.