[Dixielandjazz] Longhorn Band and dixieland in Austin

Jim Allen jim.allen at longhornband.net
Wed Dec 12 13:55:02 PST 2012

Tell Tex I said hello.  Tex Schwoebel and I competed in District and Regional Band chairs for 4 years, and he was in LHB for a time.  I was 1st chair at All District Band 4 years in a row, Tex's buddy Pat was 2d, one of my bandmates was 3rd and Tex was 4th.  At the Regional Band, I finished second every year, but the 4th year had to take the NROTC qualifying test so had to pass on the Regional try-outs the same day.  That was my chance to be in the All State Band, but I needed the NROTC scholarship.  I ended up with neither!  :>(

Chuck Ellis was the French horn section leader in the LHB for years while I was there.  I understand he is in declining health now.  How is he doing, if you know?

I played at WurstFest in New Braunfels every year from 1957, with the high school band, or with the Hi-Toppers, sat in with Gordie Zunker's Cloverleafs and backed up Myron Floren for his shows there, until about 1970, when I moved out here to stay.

We had various Dixieland groups in and around New Braunfels, but not much enthusiasm compared to the polka bands.  What I wanted was to go play at the Landing which I heard on WOAI every Friday evening at 10 pm!

When I got to San Diego in 1968, after graduating and getting a Navy commission, I found Mickey Finn's and was a life member.  Alas, Mickey Finn's is no more!  I think Barbara Finn is still around here but no longer plays.  Fred was last heard of in Vegas, IIRC.

Vince DiNino, of course, was director when I was there, an amazing, amazing man.  I received a few weeks ago a video of him, at age 93, conducting LHB at Darrel Royal's memorial service.  He'll remember me... always has, even after decades of being away.

I'm planning to move back to the area for health reasons.  It's exciting to know there is something to look forward to.  I was at the AFCDJS Festival last month and ran into some enthusiastic folks from the Austin-San Antonio area, very gratifying.

I attended the Jazz camp in 2001 and am going this year again.  It was loads of fun.  I've assembled a mountain of "fake book" stuff and am getting my fingers on all of it.  Some I remember, some I wish I did!

Best

Jim Allen
Coronado, CA