[Dixielandjazz] Listeners in front, talker in back was Americans don't like jazz

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sun Aug 26 09:49:34 PDT 2012

> Brad Terry, Jazz clarinetist and whistler of Bath, ME writes:
>

> I agree 100% with, "listeners in the front talkers in the back". Too many times the table set for 12 for Aunt Gertie's 90th was front & center. She was deaf as a post...You know where this is going.

For an interesting counterpoint, see Kenny Davern's biography by Edward N. Meyer. Page 185 from which the following excerpts are taken:

"One of the secrets to Davern's popularity was that he understood that there was more to performing than just playing music . . .(said Davern); 'You must relate to your audience, you must communicate with them, you must know what their pulse is, what they feel. They're there to see you and hear you, and it's the least you can do, to involve them. It's very important to create a relaxation, a tension, and a rapport . . . The music that we play has been relegated to a sanctified role, where everybody i supposed to sit there and not talk. You're supposed to deliver some kind of emotional message to them. It's garbage. You're supposed to DANCE, have a good time, TALK. GET UP, FLIRT, WHATEVER.' " (Capital letter emphasis mine)

Anyone who has performed with Davern, or seen him perform knows exactly what he meant. You've heard the anecdotes he told, you've heard him engage the audience and tell them to have a good time. And all the while, he delivered a 100% professional performance while reveling  in the audience's joyful interaction.

RIP Kenny, You taught me, and a host of others so much and I, for one, am ever grateful.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband