[Dixielandjazz] choros

andrew moore amoore58 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 5 19:34:59 PDT 2012

Regarding Ken Mathieson's comment, "I've always wondered why Dixieland and
New Orleans musicians haven't made greater use of choro pieces as they're
lively, full of optimism, easy to swing and fun to play:"  the New Orleans
pianist Tom McDermott--inspired by none other than Ernesto Nazareth--became
enchanted with choro in the mid-80s.  In 2000 he made a wonderful CD titled
"Choro do Norte," featuring terrific players like Evan Christopher and
trombonist Rick Trolsen (who himself put out a  CD called "Gringo do
Choro"), and employing choro rhythms, forms, harmonies in just the way Ken
suggested.  Here he is with Christopher, performing a choro at Snug Harbor
in 2008:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzJ8CSamovM
Judging from the discography on his website, he's made a lot of connections
between Latin music and early jazz--far more than a "tinge."  An
interesting and very talented musician (and I don't even know him, honest).

Andy Moore