[Dixielandjazz] Evan Christopher

ROBERT R. CALDER serapion at btinternet.com
Sun Apr 29 06:29:55 PDT 2012

Happy memories of him so far include his jamming with Roy Williams on the Edinburgh gig Ken Ramage got Roy alongside the official Edinburgh Jazz Festival -- and the audience had a lot of musicians listening --as well as "the less than ideally appreciative" as I called the regular paying furniture of the establishment

And then I was looking forward to Frank Wess with George Wein's ensemble, Regina Carter included, but it was Evan

On a more profound level I did see the admirable Duke Heitger grandstanding a little making an announcement as trumpeter in a very decent band -- this was before Katrina -- and saying that he and Evan were from New Orleans.

Evan frowned disapprovingly and said --  audible from the front seats of the hall --

we LIVE there.....

But he would sing better if he relaxed more

Not that I would mind if he made music exclusively with woodwind instruments

RRC