[Dixielandjazz] Pickpockets

Gary Kiser gary at kiser.org
Sat Apr 28 16:06:53 PDT 2012

Not at all jazz content, but if it can help a traveler avoid some
headache, I offer the following.

I have not been over here as long as Jim, but 20 years is not bad.
Anyway, I learned quickly that you take care of your things. When we are
on the road and stop for a coffee or a peepee, either someone stays with
the car or we take our instruments with us. There is VERY little risk of
bodily harm in Europe (or, at least, in the many countries where I have
played), but if you leave valuables unattended, you risk to lose them.
Even in places like Denmark where our car was broken into and I lost a
couple of thousand kroner. Again, there is little chance of violence as
arms (knives and guns) are quite rare. But, one must stay vigilant. You
turn your back and you can lose something. I recommend Hotel safes; they
are there for a reason.

That said, Europe is wonderful. You just got to keep an eye on your shyt.

All the best, Gary

On 28/04/2012 23:55, Jim Kashishian wrote:
> Bruce Stangeland&  Pat Ladd have expressed having been robbed in Madrid.  I,
> in fact, admitted it was a problem here.  However, with two on the list
> mentioning my adopted town, I feel I must come to its defence.  Barcelona is
> worse!
>
> That's not much of a defence, though, I guess.  I would venture as far as to
> say that it is most likely a problem in any large city.
>
> Jim

Gary Kiser
34, rue du Président Wilson
63100 Clermont-Ferrand