[Dixielandjazz] Lonely Woman Evan and Ornette

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Apr 28 08:17:02 PDT 2012

On Apr 28, 2012, at 3:57 AM, Marek Boym wrote: (in part)

> Of course Christopher is a creative musician, even if not as fiercely
> individualistic as Pee Wee Russell, Wild Bill Davison or Red Allen.
> Still, when Pee Wee Russell played all the Coltrane stuff, it sounded
> - I cannot help it - traditional.  Pee Wee Russell, as easily
> identifiable as when he played Pee Wee's Blues, was still traditional,
> as DISTINCT from modern.  And so is Evan Christopher.  Perhaps not
> within the strict definition of the West Coast revival, but in a wider
> context.
> As to the Coleman version - I've heard Coleman MUCH too much, and
> going back there would be masochistic, so I won't. . . .
>
> You have also given a link to the Coltrane number by Evan Christopher.
> Thanks - will save me the search.  I'll definitely listen to that
> one, too, but not right now - no time.  Not to the Coltrane version,
> though - I have heard much too much of him, too, on the various jazz
> programmes, while waiting for something worthwhile to be played.
>
> As to "what you musicians do" - you have chosen to play OKOM, and so
> has Even Christopher.  Which puts you in the "traditional" context,
> whatever you may say to the contrary.  Besides, many fans are at least
> as well informed as you, perhaps better, and it is the fans, whom you
> hold in such contempt, who provide your bread (perhaps not yours
> personally - you are retired and can afford not to work, but certainly
> the bread of professionals who live on playing music).

Dear Marek:

Wrong again.

I have chosen to play music, which sometimes, but certainly not
always, includes OKOM, or YKOM. And Evan Christopher has chosen also
to play music, not limited to OKOM. Neither of us can be labeled
"traditional". Same for Don Mopsick if I read his post correctly.
Furthermore, if you read Evan Christopher's own words about the music
he plays, you will find that he specifically avoids the "traditional"
label. So, just who are you then, to try and define him to the contrary?

And no doubt many fans are as Informed as I am. And many better
informed. I do not hold them in contempt.  But you are not among
either group. You prove that almost every time you post, most recently
with your pontification about Evan Christopher which proved you knew
nothing about him.

As you might guess, I make my basic living expenses playing music and
I love the fans that pay to hear it. However, my musical premise has
always been that if someone does not like the music my band and I
play, don't listen to to it.

Too bad you choose not to hear the Ornette Coleman's link to Lonely
Woman which I posted. Had you done so, you would have found that it is
the basis of the Christopher version. They are remarkably similar.
Same for Coltane's "After the Rain".

But then, that is you usual modus operandi. Condemn something though
you have no factual basis to do so. That just makes you look less
informed than you are, if that is possible.

If you still insist on labeling Christopher the best fit is:  a
talented New Orleans musician.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband