[Dixielandjazz] viva la difference ( re MildredBailey-Spokesman Review)

Pat Ladd pj.ladd at btinternet.com
Sat Apr 28 03:20:40 PDT 2012

Hi Jim,
I did indeed visit Madrid a while ago and spent a very pleasant evening
listening to the band. In fact we had a drink with you and some of the band
beforehand.
Had I been offered a `sit in` on the drums I would have declined. I know my
place, and it certainly was not in the same frame as your drummer who was
fantastic.

I remember the occasion well as both Wendy and Nancy an American woman who
was with us had their handbags snatched on the way back to the hotel.
We asked for it. Stood under the street lamps consulting a  street map and
generally acting like stupid tourists. My mate and I were walking  ahead of
the ladies who were talking and not paying attention. There was a sudden
rush of feet and there was Nancy screaming, her handbag gone, and Wendy
swinging some youngster round hanging on to the strap of her handbag while
she tried to kick him in the goolies.
I ran back and chased the two robbers. My Yank mate shouting Let him go.
He`ll have a knife etc but I was so bloody angry. How DARE they. I chased
the pair all up the street. No one else about of course. I ran faster than I
had moved since I left school and got up to the bag snatchers shoulder. He
glanced back , very surprised to see me there and went into overdrive and
left me standing. He did have about a 45 years start on me. I have no idea
what I would have done in the unlikely event of my catching the bastard.
Wendy had no cards and just a little money in her bag but Nancy had ALL
their cards and All their money in her bag because she didn`t trust the
hotel safe.
I remember it took about 4 hours to get through with the police, statements,
translations, stopping credit cards etc and there had been several big
ticket white goods purchases made amounting to several thousands dollars
before they could get everything tied up.

All things considered, a great evening.

Cheers

Pat.