[Dixielandjazz] Evan Christopher - was Tony Scott

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 15:29:10 PDT 2012

>> Well, Steve,
>> "It ain't what'cha do, it's the way how you do it..."
>> I have not heard how "Evan Christopher... plays songs
>>>
>>> like Lonely Woman (Ornette Coleman) and After the Rain (John Coltrane),"
>>> but I have heard the AnachronicJazz Band and Pee Wee Russell do songs
>>> composed by Coltrane, and they made them sound like OKOM, not whatever it
>>> was Coltrane and Coleman did.
>>
>> Cheers
>>>

>>> As an aside, clarinetist Evan Christopher... Then he decided to play
>>> New Orleans music and concentrated on clarinet. But he still plays songs
>>> like Lonely Woman (Ornette Coleman) and After the Rain (John Coltrane)
>>> Like Scott, Christopher is one inquisitive and inventive musician.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Steve Barbone
>>> www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband
>

> Dear Marek:
>
> If you have 't heard Evan play those songs, then for you to comment on  them
> is meaningless.
Dear Steve,

I did not "comment on them," merely stated that the way how he plays
them is of importance, not the material per se.  Perhaps you should
READ emails before replying.

 >Furthermore, the point of my post was to praise Evan for
> being inventive and inquisitive.

Do you always emphsise the obvious?   And you tell me off for
"spouting words for the sake of spouting words?"

 Since it is obvious that you do not know
> anything about that side of him,  to compare his playing to Anachronistic
> and repeat a trite phrase about "how you do it" is simply spouting words for
> the sake of spouting words.

I did not compare.  If you feel like jumping, use a rope, not conclusions.

> You might either listen to Evan more,

I actually have heard quite a lot of Evan.  Not too ctazy about
"Danza."  But I have never heard him play cmpositions of Coltrane or
Coleman.  They can be made into music, as the "Anachronic" and  Pee
Wee did.

or read about him further, or
> otherwise get some sort of knowledge about the man and his playing before
> you once again display your ignorance of subject matter.

Reading about a musician does not tell one much about his playing.
For that one must listen.  You have claimed listening only to
modernists.  Since Evan is a traditionalist, that would exclude him.
Or do you contradict yourself for the heck of it.

Cheers