[Dixielandjazz] viva la difference ( re Mildred Bailey - Spokesman Review)

Joe Carbery joe.carbery at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 18:16:02 PDT 2012

Dickie Wells, in his autobigraphy "The Night People", said that jazz music
can get too perfect and lose its rawness & excitement thereby. (I'm away
from home at present and can't give the exact reference.)
On another matter: I read somewhere that Johnny Hodges used a tenor reed on
a "specially modified alto mouthpiece." I've only seen one reference to
this. Does anyone have any comments? Buster Smith recounts using a tenor
reed on his alto (and Lester using a baritone ditto on his tenor) when with
(I think) the Blue Devils. However, he doesn't mention modifying the
mouthpiece.

Joe Carbery.