[Dixielandjazz] CREOLE BLUES

Tito Martino titomartino at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 21:19:09 PDT 2012

Bill Haesler wrote:
*
"Dear Tito,
I was sure that listmate Bert Brandsma (Dixieland Crackerjacks) would have
provided the details to you back in January.
That band's version, highlighting the third part of Duke Ellington's famous
1931 "Creole Rhapsody" from 11 June 1931, is at
  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7TwlKcOiLU
It features Bert's alto playing and is a delight.
I also wanted to hear the Lawrence Brown version but your link above, and a
subsequent YouTube search, was unsuccessful.
Is it from the LP/CD 'Unknown Session' by the Duke Ellington Small Band
with Ray Nance (t) Lawrence Brown (tb) Johnny Hodges (as) Paul Gonsalves
(ts) Harry Carney (bar,b-cl) Duke Ellington (p) Aaron Bell (sb) Sam
Woodyard (d)  recorded inHollywood, CA, 14 July 1960? One that I have
occasionally wondered about but never located.
Very kind regards,
Bill."

* Hi Bill
I have this session in LP "Black Beauty", CBS 21130, made in Holland,
with Duke, Nance, Brown, Hodges, Carney, Aaron bass and Woodyard drums.
Hollywood, July 14, 1960.    It's a great recording.
I was about to make a copy in CD and send it to you, but you found it....
and I lost the chance.
Next time...
 I will try to contact our listmate Bert Brandsma, perhaps he could
send CREOLE BLUES chords to me.  He definitely does a fine version !
Do you have his e-mail?
cheers
Tito
--