[Dixielandjazz] Songs about F......: Sex & Music

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 13 09:07:48 PDT 2012

Caution X Rated. From the blogosphere. Though the writer alludes to
the relationship between Traditional Jazz and sex, he is perhaps to
young, or maybe just ignorant of the sexual relationship between young
people and "Jazz". from 1917 through the 1920s and later. Time blurs
memory as we now call it "Art" music. Or is "Art" a code word for "Sex"?

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband

Music
Songs about f.....g: sex & music

By Doug Bleggi
Sex and music have enjoyed a long relationship, even before the so-
called lurid dawn of rock & roll. Both blues and jazz were rife with
sexual energy. Whether it was the backwoods of acoustic artists like
Robert Johnson or the jazz hall sauntering of vocalists like Bessie
Smith, sex was an essential part of the blues. Likewise jazz music,
from its surge to popularity in the roaring twenties through the days
of big band and Dixieland, brought couples together, and very close.

Like all music genres, the increasing familiarity makes it become the
norm. The emergence of bebop turned swing into ‘old man music,’ while
rock & roll became not just a new beacon for sexuality expressed
through music, but it was the first time a genre of music was
specifically aimed at, and taken in by, teenagers.

Teen heart throbs existed before the ‘50s of course. The character of
Johnny Fontaine for instance, in “The Godfather” was heavily based on
the career of Frank Sinatra in the early 1940s, with young girls
screaming and crying when he would sing (the notion that The Beatles
started this trend is most definitely false). But the pop singers of
World War II sung innocent love songs. Later, when Big Joe Turner sang
“”I’ve been holdin’ it in, way down underneath / You make me roll my
eyes, baby, make me grit my teeth,” there was no question what he was
talking about. Parents collectively were outraged with the genre, a
natural instinct – never before had children taken such a keen
interest in a style of music. While cheery and playful, there was a
dirty subtext to a lot of rock & roll songs and the B-film industry
followed suit, offering cheap films that gave early rockers a place to
lay down the dirty sax and pounding piano chords for kids who wanted
to make out with their dates in movie theaters.

While the drive-in theaters were like the Wild West in terms of what
it could get away with, television made a more concerted effort to
desensitize rock & roll. “The Ed Sullivan Show” for instance was
oblivious to the sexual power of Elvis Presley (so was Elvis
apparently) when they first booked him in 1956, but when concerns rose
about the singer’s “suggestive” dance moves, his third appearance
famously featured him shot from the waist up. The plan of course
backfired, with Presley breaking into some hip swiveling at the
conclusion of “Peace in the Valley” (of all songs!) which given the
tight shot on the singer’s torso, only made his off-camera gyrations
all the more dirty.

So because the rock & rollers essentially won out over the repressive
parents and TV hosts, have we become the lecherous fuck-obsessed pigs
that they assured us Elvis Presley’s hips would make us? Of course not
at all, or at least not any more than the kids back then. Rock & roll
didn’t make teenagers have sex with each other – a natural progression
of the teenager in society beget the need for a culture that fed those
progressed desires. We (and by we I mean all music fans) didn’t like
rock & roll simply because it was different. We took it in because
it’s what we needed, and if we needed to break out of sexual
suppression, rock was there to undo the knots.

The  sexual freedom that of today that is supposedly new is not a
dissent but merely evolution. When Lady Gaga informs us about her
desire to ride our disco stick, or when Ke$ha demands, “just show me
where your dick’s at,” it’s shocking, simply because it’s a new way
that someone figured out a way to say “I just wanna fuck” in a pop
song. Whether or not you care for either “LoveGame” or “Blah-Blah-
Blah” is irrelevant — it’s mainstream pop music and is completely akin
to Arthur Mckay singing about getting a handjob in “She Squeezed My
Lemon” nearly 80 years ago. It was lurid, disgusting, raunchy—but most
of all, it was a sign of the times, and we as a society turned out
fine, not in spite of it, but because of it.