[Dixielandjazz] Chords

Rick Zahniser zahniser99 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 18:01:26 PDT 2012

I did a nursing home gig yesterday (me on banjo, my son on piano)
and another one today.  The music is all OKOM... mostly singalong...
and I had a chance to think about what I was playing, in light of this
discussion.

On banjo, I usually play two different chords in each measure, and
sometimes four!  I dont think about what they are (after 60 years of
playing.)  Nor does my son think about it.

But I did think a little about the discussion, and it seems to me that
if the arranger had a sixth in mind, several people might play it in
a 7-piece jazz band.  The bass will probably play the root or fifth of
the chord and the drummer...
But there are five other guys playing.   Certainly the guitar/banjo
doesn't HAVE to play the sixth in his chord!!

Again, I don't think much about it.  If the chart said A6, I might
play a sixth, but I might play A, Amaj7, A7b5, or whatever.
Chords, esp on Guitar, belong in progressions and that's the
way I play them.

I guess it depends on whether you're just learning to play, huh?

Rick