[Dixielandjazz] Sidney DeParis on plunger.

Steve Voce stevevoce at virginmedia.com
Sat Apr 7 12:12:10 PDT 2012

I'm coming late to this one so pardon me if someone has already pointed out that Sidney's best growl work, more incisive and sincere than the later things with brother Wilbur, was on the Ed Hall Blue Note Jazzmen and Bechet Victors. It's also very interesting to hear him on Mezzrow's "Comin' On With The Come On", where he makes Tommy Ladnier lose his temper. After some riffs by Sidney, which Tommy doesn't like, he roars a loud note through his horn and everyone except Mezzrow seems to stop playing. High drama indeed!
Steve Voce

Sent from my iPad